Prince Philip writes apology to car crash victim, reports say | Free Press from USA

Prince Philip writes apology to car crash victim, reports say

Prince Philip writes apology to car crash victim, reports say

Britain’s Prince Philip has reportedly apologized to a woman injured in a Jan. 17 car crash involving the 97-year-old royal’s Land Rover.

The Sunday Mirror published a photo of his letter to Emma Fairweather, whose wrist was broken in the crash near the Queen’s Sandringham estate.

“I would like you to know how very sorry I am for my part in the accident at the Babingley cross-roads,” said the letter, which was hand-signed “Philip,” rather than “the Duke of Edinburgh.”

Fairweather told the tabloid, “I thought it was really nice that he signed off as ‘Philip’ and not the formal title. I was pleasantly surprised because of the personalized nature. A lot of people said it was unrealistic that I wanted that human kindness from Prince Philip – which is what I saw this letter as.”

In it, Philip noted that he had been through that intersection many times but that his vision was impacted by the low afternoon sun.

“In normal conditions, I would have no difficulty in seeing traffic coming from the Dersingham direction, but I can only imagine that I failed to see the car coming, and I am very contrite about the consequences. I was somewhat shaken after the accident, but I was greatly relieved that none of you were seriously injured.”

He also seemed concerned Fairweather might think he fled the scene.

“As a crowd was beginning to gather, I was advised to return to Sandringham House by a local Police Officer. I have since learned that you suffered a broken arm. I am deeply sorry about this injury. I wish you a speedy recovery from a very distressing experience.”

Although his Land Rover was overturned in the accident, Philip was unhurt and was given the all-clear by local doctors the following day. He has not been charged and continues to be allowed to drive. (Drivers in the U.K. must renew their licenses every three years upon turning 70.)

USA TODAY has reached out to Buckingham Palace for comment.

Since the accident, there has been no word about whether Philip will voluntarily restrict his driving to the grounds of Sandringham and other royal properties.

Prince Philip crash: Being told to hang up keys could be ‘major blow,’ expert says

Aftermath: Parts of Prince Philip’s wrecked car briefly on sale

Contributing: Associated Press

 

Source link